Monday, July 5, 2010

Julian's Suicide!

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/28221875/Julian+Cope.jpg

When I was a first year student at my community college I was taking a class on Jazz. The friend of mine in front of me was a bit older then I was, but you could tell he was trying to educate his mind, but the teacher was making the class really boring. After class I approached him to ask him why is this teacher making the class like watching paint dry. He had no idea, but he told me that he was going to the library to get his own education on Jazz and not really pay attention to what the teacher was saying. I decided to follow along. He was telling me on the way to the library on campus that his band was playing the CMJ music festival in New York this coming weekend and wanted some help at the festival. The cost was no charge on my end as long as I could find a place to crash. He explained to me that he was going to see a bunch of cool shows and told me when he saw me at school the next day he would let me know his acts he wanted to see.

I went home and told my parents that I was going to New York this weekend to see my best friend. They were okay with that, the only thing is as long as I check in once in a while to let them know I was okay. Before cell phones, I would go from pay phone to pay phone to let them know I was fine. I once called from the CBGB's pay phone to tell them that I was all good and I had to quickly go so I can get a great place to stand to see The Ramones. I don't think they ever knew I was all over the city with my best friend seeing music. This time my best friend joined my classmate and friend to a lot of CMJ performances. On the list was Lucinda Williams which we did do and there is a blog post about my experience, and there was others that we wanted to see. I wanted to see Julian Cope. One of my friends at the record store told me I should check it out.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgTfg86F7KZVT_WiGbWE7jbl5pjYNPJJW9ydv4ltkGOhJsuaLYGoREvgV4rJi03S3L9tUD7tCy3NZ5z9K2Cg6zXN_rGh4yFbIeLR1knIqyhXS9uqKmLAAsywE5-EUWhiB5-sAXo8Hl2IxU/s400/%5BAllCDCovers%5D_julian_cope_peggy_suicide_2002_retail_cd-front.jpg

I did not honestly much about him, but if my friend at the record store spoke praises then I should take his recommendation. I went to New York with the list of things to do and see during CMJ. My friend from the community college was going to play a little place in the village on Saturday afternoon. The rest of the weekend was our own. Saturday night my best friend and I went to Roseland and decided to check out Julian Cope. There were other acts we could have seen, but we decided on this one. When I got into the show I saw my friend from the record store so happy to see me. He decided he needed to see this show. He explained that this man will put a lasting impression on me. He was very correct in his statement. Over the next two and half hours Julian Cope was a monster. He covered every kind of rock genre and then some. For going into his show cold with hearing only one song, I was very impressed.

He mostly played from his new album which I did not own. But after the show I had to pick it up. My friend who brought me down to this CMJ music festival was as much as in awe as I was. I really loved this stuff and was wondering why I was not exposed to this any sooner. Peggy Suicide was the new album and I really wanted to get it after the show. I picked it up and could not wait to listen to the studio versions of what I heard.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2007/05/03/juliancope460.jpg

When I got home I picked up the CD and fell in love with it all over again. In class my friend who I helped out handed me a bunch of stuff from CMJ. He told me that I left it in his car and one of the CD's in the pile was an Island record sampler. He was quick to point out that the last track was a Julian Cope song that was not on the CD I bought, but a song he played at our show. Once again the smile was on my face. When I was back home I would go crazy listening to Peggy Suicide again. I realized that every song on the album was an absolute gem and to pick one or two would not work out. I would say this though that the two songs that stand out now are "Hanging Out and Hung Up on the Line" and "Drive She Said" are wonderful start to a great album. I play this album over and over and still don't get tired of it. I also think what Julian Cope is thinking. Not only is he a great musician, but he also is a musical historian with a lot of respect. His book on Krautrock is very good.

So if you are looking for an album that defies any notion of normal music, and does a good job to stretch your brain then this is the album for you. It's not slouch and at near eighty minutes it will reward you with repeated listens. Have fun and of course enjoy! Peggy Suicide rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment