Saturday, July 24, 2010

Electric Madness



In early May of 2003 I was going to graduate at college when I got a phone call from my friend who owns a record store in New York City. He mentioned to me that he wanted to congratulate me on finishing school and wanted to know if I wanted to help with a birthday party for John Zorn. I knew John a little a bit. I met him at my friends store when he would drop off CD's of his own Tzadik records. I even shared my birthday month of September with John so it was the least I could do. I told my friend that I had one more semester at school, but I was willing to help on weekends if need be. He gave me a list of show ideas for the big birthday. My friend was mentioning to me that all these shows were going to be at The Tonic in the city and he needed some help recording and just general helping out at these shows. He also told me that what his plan was to have a few dates of all the John Zorn projects to perform and wanted to know what ones I would like to see or help out at. I told him I e-mail the list and also asked him to give me the calendar of what he had in mind for the shows and I would get back to him.

Over the summer I looked over the schedule of events and I had about a half of a dozen shows I wanted to see and watch. I looked at my school schedule and some of them did work out well. I went to the city in early in July to see one of those bands. The band was called Electric Masada and I figure what the hell I should check these guys out. I knew most of the musicians in the group and I wanted to hear what they had to say. My friend told me that I strongly should wear earplugs at this gig. I usually don't listen to the ear plug thing, but this time I took my friends recommendation. I handed him also the list of shows I was going to help out and go to in September. I counted nine shows I could help with. He was excited and told me to be prepared for a birthday cake on my birthday weekend. I told him I could only do the Thursday night before my birthday because my friends are throwing me a party the weekend of my birthday.



While at the show he told me that Electric Masada was like a Jewish Heavy Metal band, but louder. All the loudness came from mostly everybody including my guitar hero Marc Ribot (pictured below). With two drummers, a percussionist, guitar, bass, keyboards, laptop, electronics and saxophone, Electric Masada was a monster. It was like a steam train making runs across the country in record time. Most of the music was not other peoples material, but John Zorn's take on Jewish hymns or spirituals. Some of these songs were played in other ensembles, but with more forcefulness. John would be conducting the band using hand signals to tell them what to do. It was quite a sight to see. Each piece was carefully put in a position for the most noise or use of these hymns as possible.

I told him that I was excited to see all these projects that Zorn had put together and see them done live. Some of these projects were going to make their world debut in September and also be recorded for future release. My excitement was made more happy when my friend sent me a copy of a live show of Electric Masada of the show we were at. I popped it my car stereo and loved it. The sound was so great it shook the car and made my passengers deaf. I could not believe how much this "party" was going to take place. I also realized that only at the Tonic and in New York City could this be done.



After all these wonderful September shows I went to I called my friend to thank him for a great time and an experience like no other. He told me that some of the show's recording will be put out on John's Tzadik label. After the shows in late October I got a package at my house. It had rush order on the box and had my friends address on it. At about the same time I got the package I had a phone call. My friend was calling me to tell me that beside the regular stuff I get from him I also got copies of all the shows I was at during the party for John Zorn. It was like a dream come true. I was in awe on what to think. I told him thanks and I would do any favor if he needed it.

When I got back to college I used some of these CD's to play on my show. It was a great experience to be part of a music appreciation and then seeing the end result in a music CD. It was great fun. I put this CD up because all of them are great, but this is the one that makes the most cool noise. It's a sold group all the way around and each of the band members is very good on what they do. I would strongly suggest that you start with this one. Enjoy and make sure you have headphones for this one!



No comments:

Post a Comment