Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Larry's Live at the Village Gate!!!

http://jazztimes.com/images/content/articles/0001/6542/200808_045_span9.jpg

If you asked me two years ago about Larry Coryell I would have told you two things. One thing I would tell you is "I really don't know much about him," and the other is, "in all seriousness what really should I be listening to." Then when I stumbled upon a blog that featured some of his early work. I did some background research and also asked my guitar friend who is an historian on great guitar players and albums that are great to listen to. He is the same friend who got me into such artist as Terje Rypdal, Leo Kottke, John Fahey, Chet Atkins, Bill Conners, Gary Lucas, and so many others, so why not ask him about Larry Coryell. He told me that there about five albums I should either listen to or pick up. He did not tell me where to start, but gave a clue to find a live album and I could not find an error in his advice to me.

I looked on of course "Allmusic" and the first one that caught my eye was Live at the Village Gate. I decided to take a chance on it. With only five songs I was wondering if I was going to be disappointed with it. I mean it was not a long album, but It had a Chick Corea song and a Jack Bruce song and most of all it was a power trio. I mean I love Cream, and Rush. So what could be different. I went to a blog and nicely downloaded it and quickly put it on my computer and made a copy for the car.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhr3PeEvDZKb2NwN7IjN9y2IBldl2Mq3DjfFvwujUHFN8Se4DVsKLf_g2bsR1IWxUxJUcIwLsYVyl0H9tYvXx3I2s-w7sQRrt3LJCLsuwgAv5J6HeVLjKVSM5LgnZ0WaUAPfceZQpXQ7EKF/s400/larry.JPG

My friend who gave me the somewhat recommendation asked what album I decided to get. I told him about the copy I got and he told me that of all the albums he had of Larry Coryell that was the only one he did not have. I laughed because I figure he tell me all about how great this live album is and how underrated his guitar playing is and how the comparisons of Jimi Hendrix and Robin Trower were easily compared. He actually knew nothing about this album. He just asked if he can get himself a copy. I gave it to him and he was very happy. He told me after listening to it, thought that this was the best Larry Coryell that he ever heard.



When I found it on line through another blog I was very happy to get it, but to find a true physical copy was another story. I found a CD copy and LP copy, but as of writing this blog there are a few LP's around and the CD is out of print. The CD runs between $27.00 and $110.00. I could not believe I got this album for $20.00 for both the CD and LP. It strikes me funny that good music should remain in print and Larry Coryell is a fine example of that. His slick guitar sound has people back in the early 70's think that he was Hendrix and for good reason too. The trio is on point and make a bold statement for a great trio in any kind of rock setting. These licks that Larry are playing are not Jazz, but Rock with Blues and some funk.

I was happy I found more about him. I mean early in my musical adventures I would pass a man like this up. It was odd for me in certain part of my life if an artist had a long career and I just started listening to him I would not like the new stuff. I would ignore that stuff and possibly ignore his greater work. Larry is a great guitar player and has a wonderful approach to giving something way cooler then anything we know about. I would put him in the ranks of my favorites and with good reason too. If you find this gem, be sure to pass it a long to your friends. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment