Monday, October 19, 2009

The World Is Yours!

So driving Saturday I came to the realization in some odd way that I think, that I like world music. I mean, I like all types of music, but world stands out as one of the genres I like. I get jealous when I have friends go to countries out of the North America area and go somewhere. To further my odd musical loves I ask them to bring back some music from the country they are going to. I had a friend who went to Brazil. He said the beautiful open ended question to me. "Do you want anything while I am in Brazil?" "Of Course," I said. I need some vinyl copies of Os Mutantes and any Caetano Veloso and Gilberto Gil." "You be the best if you can do that." His response was direct and to the point. "What!, Who? let me right this down."

My friend goes every year down there and he made a point that he can hook me up with some beautiful Brazilian woman. What he does not understand I don't have the luxury to visit this person like he does. I just want music, and my favorite genre of world is Tropicalia. Tropicalia is a Brazilian art movement that arose in the late 1960s and encompassed theatre, poetry, and music, among other forms. Tropicália was influenced by Concrete Poetry), a genre of Brazilian avant-garde poetry However, Tropicália is associated almost exclusively with the musical expression movement, both in Brazil and internationally, which arose from the fusion of several musical genres, like Brazilian, African Rhythms and American Rock and Roll.

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/perrone/Chiclete/tropicalia.jpg

So I show my friend this album. I tell him, that collectors here in America pay like $100 for this album or anything from that period. In Brazil it can be bought for like $20.00 even cheaper if you can haggle with a record guy. My friends short attention span quickly moves on to another subject and my want from Brazil is a memory of what I wanted.

This music somehow connects with me. A museum in the Bronx NY had an exhibit of this beautiful and rich period. I went a few times, but to be honest I should have looked a little closer at everything around me.

To me the music has a connection, that is almost like being addicted to something. When I give suggestions for people what to listen to I very little hand them a best of an artist or a compilation.

http://www.world-music.gr/UserFiles/Image/Artists/Gilberto%20Gil%20&%20Caetano%20Veloso%201968.jpg


http://wakingupto.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/os-mutantes1.jpg

The only exception to this rule is the album I am talking about above. This I think is the best sample of the music of Tropicalia movement. Make sure you turn it up and try to sing along like you know this is the coolest music ever!

www.rapidshare.com/files/108376162/Tropicalia_Ou_Panis_Et_Circensis.zip

No comments:

Post a Comment