Monday, October 12, 2009

Day One: An Introduction

Hi! My Name is Matt I am a music geek that lives in Connecticut. I like all types of music and this blog is about that subject. I won't rant about what is going on in my culture around me, but I will talk about albums that you the person reading this should listen to. The first one is by far the album that changed my life. Like many others, I am sure the album artwork says it all as well. In The Court of the Crimson King. Myself I was shown this album in the younger days of my youth. The artwork just screamed, "listen to me" I so did and opened a world of music that I love and continue to discover. For everyone! Enjoy! This what describes me... Matt. This is one thing in many that describes me as a person who loves music, art, books and film. Along with this first album introduction to myself. I hope that you the reader will see my updates on other albums you should be listening to.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEivgk8rMdO5NLvLGm_KYNF225YKr9AnBwbc3lSN7JLlEiPDyvYg3ljvFnE3yGoGNvrmHpU5vWk65ACC7LNyt3I6HwrQYzqt3U_q6uVgsrihgTfVryub98pe7eUzZCFhCOps0JnBBGC4pnWW/s400/crimsonKing.jpg


As far as the album in my first post I would love to describe it to you. There are only five songs on this album. This album is about 44 minutes in length. This is just enough time to keep your attention and most of all those 44 minutes are the best 44 minutes you will ever here. Not only did this grab my attention it choked me in to believing that all music was this great. I was stupid enough to think that this what I should listen to all the time from the opening part that is actually a mellotron warming up to the odd guitar sounds mixed with saxophone, drums, bass and vocals that will take the flesh off your face. The rapid passages that you here on the first song are amazing and were so far from their time that on King Crimson could do this with such skill. Bill Bruford who was in the band later on said that he was "scared to death...this was the best band in the world" Bill was in Yes, a band that was good, but in this moment not great. King Crimson opened up for the Rolling Stones at Hyde Park in the summer of 1969. The crowd had no idea what to make of them. The next song is a very quiet song and
The delicate vocal harmonies and the achingly poignant flute solo and melodic counterpoint remain unmatched on an emotive level. The surreal and opaque lyrics are likewise an insight to Sinfield's masterful wordplay, which graced their next three releases. The next song is the last one on the first side of the LP. Fripp with his acoustic and electric guitar overdubs and Giles drumming and the Mellotron makes this one of the most amazing songs to end a side of a record. Side two opens with a piece called Moonchild. Moonchild is an eerie love song that is creepy, bordering on uncomfortable. The melody is agile and ageless, while the instrumentation wafts like the wind through bare trees. The concluding song on side two is the last one on the album. The title song is an 9.22 song that just gives the listener something more then a tease. It begs you to listen to this album again. It is a song and and album that will surely kick you in the ass when your not looking. I listen to this album twice a year and still wonders if I was around then if I would have gotten the picture of what this is all about. Well sit back, and enjoy a true album of all albums and if you got good head sets, put them on and close your eyes!

http://30daysout.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/king20crimson.jpg

2 comments:

  1. http://rapidshare.com/files/219045675/In_The_Court_Of_The_Crimson_King__5B1969_5D.rar For all who want to listen for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the greatest albums of all time and the first true "progressive rock" album. All of the songs are iconic. "Epitaph" might be Greg Lake's greatest vocal peformance. Fripp has said that Mike Giles was the only musician of the period at the level of Hendrix, a comment that could be self-serving -- if it weren't true. Sinfield adds his words and atmospheres, including finding the uncanny cover and penning the lyrics that gave the band its name. And you always know when Fripp is around. His influence is more pervasive than invasive. This album was a landmark in Rock music, a major influence on YES, Genesis, ELP (not to mention Tool, Porcupine Tree and the Mars Volta). It informed no less than three genres: prog, fusion and metal ("Schizoid Man" remains the prototype for the latter...blantantly ripped-off, down to the fuzz vocals, by Sabbath on "Iron Man" and through them influenced all of metal). Long live the Crimson King!

    ReplyDelete