Saturday, October 31, 2009

You mean to tell me Santana did not right Black Magic Woman


So many times I have been asked about bands or artists that I listen to and get the question what is your favorite of that artist. If they have a long career like Fleetwood Mac or Steve Miller or Yes or Santana or even Jethro Tull. I have to tell them that I like them in their early years. They look blankly at me and think I am on crack. I am not on crack, but the early albums of these artist are so much better then the later.

Fleetwood Mac was a blues band before they had Rumors or Tusk. Tusk is great, but to me English Rose or Then Play On would be the ones I would choose. English Rose is pure British Blues. Peter Green is one of the best guitar players out there. This album shows it. His Black Magic Woman is amazing even his solo is crisp and clear. The studio sound may sound primitive but it does the job of sounding like a 1950's electric blues with Elmore James or T-Bone Walker.

My Fleetwood Mac experience started early. I used to hear Rumors when I was a kid. I think a lot of kids did, and I know I am not the only one. Hearing Go Your Own Way a million times, you get a little sick of it. One day I went out to the tag sales. I had about $10.00 on me. I had my back pack just in case. First sale I picked up some matchbox cars. Second sale a Guess Who Greatest Hits. Finally, the third I saw this Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits. The label said 1971. I bought it from the guy and headed home. I saw that on the track listing it, and it read Black Magic Woman. I was excited to listen to their version. I said to myself, wow! Fleetwood Mac covering Santana. When I saw the writing credits it said P. Green. I was stumped. This was actually a Fleetwood Mac song. I placed that song on the turntable. I was impressed and liked it more so then the Santana version. My early Fleetwood Mac love was solidified.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiYeva3yELRfainUKOM0QiVLEFYrBUCKq-v1sJt2IonFseOZ1Xm-WjD2ztCPdq5SIlzpPAkE89beHIe091DOjKvaxQ_S-mm4YD3owu1dmWmIyc2HaA9JFjydw4F974GS70UZW6EdNzg/s400/Fleetwood+Mac+1968-70.jpg

The next day in school I had the Fleetwood Mac in my hand. A teacher came up to me and told me that is the Fleetwood Mac very few know about. The next day in class he handed me a tape. On one side was that album of Greatest Hits and on the other was some John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. He told me to keep it and write a page on what I liked and disliked about it.

So without further flair I give you Fleetwood Mac 1968. This is the era that should be talked about. Listen closely you might learn what British Blues is all about. Enjoy a true genius in Peter Green and a band that went their own way before all the Top 10 songs that put out.

1 comment:

  1. A couple years ago my sister got me The House That Trane Built for Christmas. It is this 4 disc set of music from Impulse! records and now that I have a desk job I've been listening to it a lot. I just played Gabor Szabo's 'Gypsy Queen' and was dumbstruck to figure that Santana took Fleetwood Mac's tune and this one to create something wonderful.

    Music comes together in the strangest instances sometimes. BTW, you should get this set if you don't have it, there is some great material on it.

    -Fizz

    ReplyDelete