Friday, October 30, 2009

The band that launched my musical loves




Ever since I can remember I used to watch music on TV. I liked watching Public Television and seeing Austin City Limits. I liked the music documentaries on MTV and watching whatever TV had something to do with music. One day on Public Television I saw the video that is above. It was actually part of an hour long special called Stax in Europe. Besides The Booker T. & The MG's on this show there was Otis Redding, the Bar-Kays. It was an amazing thing to watch. I came away from that watching worshipping Booker T. & The MG's and Otis Redding. The next day I called my friend and asked him to see if he wanted to go record shopping. We did, and I picked up Green Onions by Booker T. & The MG's not the single mind you, the whole album.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjz9A8g17x-CJ6zfP4QKUPQE8H74Hz_MGa7Y8bRuKn8tmb9DofU844Tvy42FL6-_yuFJYNZpo_iX4uX8N83Gk_QHTzNFBpjYYVsY0ZssBsSfQBsmWw2VXh5KHaf9IqiuUvx51fc9YU6LG2x/s400/Booker+T.+&+The+MG%C2%B4s+-+Green+Onions+-+Front.jpg

I quickly got home and placed it on the turntable. It was an original. I got for $10.00. It had the Stax record label on it and it was in very good shape. I played it a few times before I saw the cassette at the store for $6.00. It was the same album with all the songs. While I was playing the LP, my father came up to me and handed the 45 of Green Onions. He was just out of High School when this song was a hit. He told me this song was a hit in the Fall of '62.

What I liked about it was the bass and the organ sound. What I found out later, the man in the video playing the bass was not the one playing the bass on the LP. I thought the replacement Donald "Duck" Dunn was a better bass player then the guy they had. In the Video the bass player is "Duck." He stayed with the band. This core group stayed as Booker T. and The MG's. Looking back, I though the whole band was tight and awesome. I literally idolized the whole band. Al's drumming to Steve's guitar work to "Duck's" bass and Booker's keyboard work. It was all so great.


http://www.amiright.com/album-covers/images/album_Booker-T--the-MGs-McLemore-Avenue.jpg

So in this post I recommend Green Onions. Check it out!! If you don't move to this then your dead. It is an album that is meant to be played loud. Enjoy some great R&B for your soul. To me it all starts right here. Enjoy a classic in every sense of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment