Tuesday, October 20, 2009

More Guitar!

Every time someone asked me about guitar albums I point them in the wrong direction. I point them in a direction that is least likely to be the obvious and simple. I could point them to a Jimi Hendrix album or two, but I am not like that. Terje Rypdal Odyssey is the album that I will tell people about. Terje's albums from the early seventies are amazing.

Not only do they turn my head in such a way that are groundbreaking and define ECM. Like Gateway I mentioned in a post his albums are unlike you have heard. They are nice to put his albums in a fusion genre, but he is nothing like that. Don't get me wrong on the other guitar gods out there like Hendrix and Page and SRV and so many I can name, but this is what I turn to all the time.


Odyssey was made by Terje's touring band. A band that had Trombone, 6 String Bass, Organ and Drums. This group liked playing together. There is no such thing as overplaying which fusion. These pieces tend to be built on similar lasts: a repeated bass vamp; organ or synth laying down chords; drums essentially for coloration; and a kind of counterpoint or call-and-response between Rypdal's biting electric guitar tone and Torbjorn Sunde's trombone.

This album is also two LP's I was very excited to listen to it when I bought it. Then I saw it on CD. There was a problem. The last track was not on it. The most killer of all songs was left off. The download above includes everything on the album and as an added bonus a live bootleg from 1974 with the same band. Enjoy!

http://rapidshare.com/files/192098080/TerjeRypdal-Odyssey-BonusTraksLive.rar

No comments:

Post a Comment