Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Day Three: Falling asleep to something good!

I was always wondering if I was around from circa 1955-1972 in the music world. Would I be listening to the same music I do now. Yesterday I was going through my LP's that are prized in my collection. I mean most of my records are important but some of the ones you could see have some wear on them. An example would be Moby Grape. http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/Moby%20Grape%20debut%20record.jpg

It's the first Moby Grape album, the one with the middle finger on the washboard. Back when this album came out that middle finger gave them the first and many more problems to follow. The second problem was they issued all there songs as singles. It was crazy and suicidal for it's time and bold to do. It was not the bands idea but the record company.

I am not sure how many plays my friend played it, but she told me when she gave it to me that it got some plays but not a lot. Image me buying this for the first time. I have a CD copy of this and the CD definitely gets some play. Then they re-issued this with extra tracks. The re-issue was subsequently issued the LP in Mono. Okay going back to my statement at the beginning of this post. Would have I bought the stereo and mono editions. Would have fathomed how great they were then and how they are important now. Here is the deeper question that I would have asked myself "Tower of Power and Boz Scaggs at the Fillmore West and then later in the week Moby Grape and Spencer Davis." Would I do these shows? Sure. the first shows with Tower of Power and Boz Scaggs. Moby Grape with Spencer Davis, not what I call an exciting double bill. I guess I was wondering what it would be like to see the acts from the past that I like now and seeing If I would go see them now. I am sure I would see The Grateful Dead and King Crimson and Velvet Underground and many others but would I see bands that are so obscure in my taste that I listen to now and just found out about when I was 15 or so. Moby Grape is a prime example of that.

I bought a 2CD retrospective of them when I was 20. I heard one thing about them when I was 17. I saw them in a book of great Sixties music. Looked everywhere for them and did too, but at 17 I was not going to pay $15.oo for something I never heard. Well anyway, listen for yourself. http://www.sundazed.com/index_gfx/Moby_Grape-pic.jpg

They are pretty damn good. No link to get the album. Just my advice is buy the first two if you can find them. Enjoy another great album in the true sixties spirit. Skip Spence I hope your proud of me on how great you were.

No comments:

Post a Comment