Monday, January 10, 2011

Tim's First! Masterpiece.



Tim Hardin's debut album was something of a happy accident, a killer record at least a third of which was comprised of tracks intended as demos, while another half utilized a string orchestra that the artist knew nothing about.(AM) Tim Hardin (1) is one of the most powerful and compelling records of its era, encompassing deeply personal and compelling poetry, blues, rock, and folk in settings ranging from stripped-down Sun Records-style rock & roll to lightly orchestrated folk-rock.

Tim Hardin's music was covered by everyone from Bobby Darin, Rod Stewart, Nico, Fred Neil and Scott Walker. To me he was the one that I heard Rod Stewart cover on Every Picture Tell's A Story. The music was wonderful and fresh and really new. I loved the words that Tim spoke to me and how he spoke them. I heard this stuff and was really so impressed I needed to hear the originator of these words.



It seems the songs we're singing
Are all about tomorrow
Tunes of promises you can't keep
Every moment bringing a love I can only borrow
You're telling me lies in your sleep

Do you think I'm not aware of what you're saying
Or why you're saying it
Is it hard to keep me where you want me staying
Don't go on betraying it
Don't make promises you can't keep

We had a chance to find it
Our time was now or never
You promised me things that I need
But then the things behind it took away the chance forever
You're telling me lies in your sleep

Do you think I'm not aware of what you're saying
Or why you're saying it
Is it hard to keep me where you want me staying
Don't go on betraying it
Don't make promises you can't keep



Those lyrics are from the first song that opens the first Tim Hardin album is quite addicting. It may be simple but for me it' a masterpiece. It's a song that tells Tim's views of many things and maybe the world at large back in 1966. This debut album was something of a happy accident, a killer record at least a third of which was comprised of tracks intended as demos, while another half utilized a string orchestra that the artist knew nothing about. Tim Hardin 1 is one of the most powerful and compelling records of its era, encompassing deeply personal and compelling poetry, blues, rock, and folk in settings ranging from stripped-down Sun Records-style rock & roll to lightly orchestrated folk-rock.

This album maybe as long as a sitcom on television, but it still put's quite an impression on me. His music was never really heard in our household or my families but I wanted to seek him out because so many people talked about his music and also covered his tunes. The music here is fresh and so cool to listen to. Listen to this and tell me what you think. It might be an album, like myself sticks with you for a while. Enjoy this and tell me what you think. Sometimes you find the diamond and this sure is a nice looking one. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment