Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Metheny's Bright Life



There is a reason I like Pat Metheny. He is one of my favorite guitar players of all time. He can do just about anything well. Weather he is leading his group or a trio or even solo. His music is quite amazing. I posted about one his later works in this blog and mentioned my experience in seeing him live. It was quite a site. His music done live just makes you shake your head and realize how great he really is. If there is any doubts about Pat Metheny then the live performance will make sure you will understand where I am coming from and where the rest of the world gives him praise.

When you look back on his career you see most of his albums have some great about them. There are a few that some people question why he did that, but you know that is what makes an artist unique and different. I like Pat Metheny for that daring approach and not settling in for anything that is the same formula every day. I probability would not like him if he stuck to that formula. Pat over the years has put some interesting groups together. His real "Group" at one point was around for over two decades. They basically are psychic and they know what to do and how to control what goes on. He really does not need to tell them what to do because they are great musicians themselves.



The music of the group is some of the most exciting to listen to. I like hearing the rest of his band just go crazy sometimes and really showcase there talents with Pat because you know they can keep up with him. It seems like they do it with little effort. When I saw him with his trio I realized that the people he picks are good in their way too. These two people with him know how to play so well that they put you in another world. When I decided to write about early Pat Metheny the album I go to is Bright Size Life. Yes, it might be a simple thing to go to, but if you actually listen to his first album you hear some of the best people he played with. The two people backing him are Jaco Pastorius and also Bob Moses. These people actually know how to play. Jaco coming from Weather Report and Bob Moses coming from playing with Pat when Pat was with Gary Burton.

Each member does something a bit more then a normal trio would do. They play so well that you think that this band is the best jazz trio that you never heard. You (at least I do) remember how well bands like this play. You forget that this is not a simple and the music is quite addicting. I hear the music of Pat and Jaco and Bob and wonder what it really was like when they recorded this back in 1975. While the arena rock was in full force, the music of Pat Metheny just nicely comes over and taps you on the shoulder and tells you there is something more out there then the simple stuff.



One of the best debut albums by any artist. I suggest that you do listen to this. It will change any mind that you have about Jazz, or for that matter music. I love listening this album again and again. I won't get tired of it and I surely would tell other people to listen to it. Enjoy this album and if this is the start of your Pat Metheny collection then you are going the right way. Enjoy and remember to crank it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment