Saturday, January 22, 2011

Mr. Gould Meet Mr. Goldberg



When I started listening to classical I did what I could of what I had. It was next to nothing in my collection, but it still was a good start. I did not shy away from my classical or for that matter the classical that was out there I honestly wanted to hear more. The first classical tape I ever owned was a copy of Beethoven's Symphony #9. It is one of the most recognized pieces of music and I used to play it over and over. I would pretend I was a conductor and think I was conducting the symphony over some challenging, rough waters and led them to safety. I liked it so much in my first year of middle school I brought it to my show and tell music class. They asked me to bring something to class that I liked to listen to. God only knows what I would have picked now if I had that same choice to make. I could only think about scaring the teacher or the classmates with Eric Dolphy or some really odd piece of music.

I held that honor of liking Beethoven as an badge of being cool. I had other classical pieces of music, but they were not as cool as that Beethoven. No one in my house had an interest in classical so to me I wanted to be the first. Over the course of my middle school time I got more and more interested in classical. I would buy a tape here or there when I went with my mother. The tapes were dirt cheap too. I could get a full cassette of classical for about $4.99. I did not know much about what I was listening to, but it was good. I think over the course of a few years I had about twenty cassette tapes that had all kinds of classical on it. I still have a few, but looking back on it some of this music is stuff I really don't listen to anymore.



In High School I got a bit more educated on what to listen to, but then again I did not listen to it much. I got advice on certain composers and what pieces of their music is a must listen. These include Beethoven String Quartets, Bartok String Quartets, Holst Planets, Vivaldi Four Seasons and Bach's Goldberg Variations. These pieces were all new to me. I mean I am still listening to stuff and I continued to grow on what knowledge of classical I had. I used my job as a resource to find the classical I wanted to listen to. One of the regular patrons at my job came to me one day and told me that Glenn Gould is the person I should listen to. He pointed out that his version of these Goldberg Variations was the greatest thing in music. He pointed out that the 1955 recording was the best of the many people who tried to copy or do.

It's true when I heard this because when I picked up the 1955 version to buy the friend who worked at the record store told me that was the one that all others try to copy. I now know that there are some others out there that need attention but this is the one that holds the candle to all others. I have about seven different versions of the Goldberg's and to me this is the one I go to the most. The way Gould performs these are quite fun and full of so much young energy. I have not heard anyone sound like his quite youthful approach to a piece of music. The more I hear it now it really makes me smile. His version is the most recognized version that people talk about. I am glad I got to hear it.



To me Gould is the one who not only got me into piano music, but classical too. I picked up a 2CD sampler of his interpretations of Bach and others and all of them had a life all their own. Eventually I branched out on other classical, but it was Glenn Gould who taught me that there was a world of so much. His piano playing was always the first person I went to. It was full of heart and also education. The learning from Gould is quite something that I will never understand, but his playing made me want to find more.

I have four copies of this album and it never gets old. I put it in the car the other day and It was like I heard it for the first time. The fresh sound and the way he played this piece is like magic. It might get anyone who does not listen to Classical and I think the Goldberg Variations is a wonderful place to go. Enjoy and I am sure you will start your classical collection here. It's a good guidepost for classical. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. http://cgi.ebay.com/GLENN-GOULD-Bach-Vol-1-Goldberg-Variations-Box-3LP-/160537078286?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2560c16a0e

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a box almost like that Manuel! Thanks for the offer!

    ReplyDelete