Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pixies Doolittle!!



I came a bit late to the Pixies, but not late enough to embarrass myself. It was 1990 and I was given a cassette tape of the Pixies by my co-worker. He pointed out that this tape changed his life. The album was Surfer Rosa. At first listen I did not know what to think. It definitely had some kind of impact, but I could not place it. It did not follow a formula of what I was listening to. I really thought for a second I stepped into some kind of future where music did not sound like I knew. Well in some respect I did, and I liked it. I gave back the tape to my co-worker and told him how much that quick half hour cassette was quite amazing. I asked him if he had any more and he told me that he would let me borrow Doolittle. I was happy to get it and now I could fill the second side of my cassette.

For a while I listened and listened for what was going to the point of that ever changing, life altering event. The thing was it was not a song, but it was the whole album that made that decision. The forty minutes of this cassette made it all the more interesting. This was something I needed to understand and to understand it required many listens. This was much better then the music I was hearing from the little group I was hanging with. As I mentioned in previous blog post the music of REM, Cure, was some of their loves, but this was in your face and the words of Frank Black assaulted you like no other and I really liked that. I mean take the words to "Debaser." By the way what is a "Debaser?"

got me a movie
i want you to know
slicing up eyeballs
i want you to know
girlie so groovy
i want you to know
don't know about you
but i am un chien andalusia
i am un chien andalusia
i am un chien andalusia
i am un chien andalusia
wanna grow
up to be
be a debaser, (debaser)
debaser, (debaser)
debaser, (debaser)
debaser, (debaser)
debaser, (debaser)
debaser, (debaser)

got me a movie
ha ha ha ho
slicing up eyeballs
ha ha ha ho
girlie so groovie
ha ha ha ho
don't know about you
but i am un chien andalusia
i am un chien andalusia
i am un chien andalusia
i am un chien andalusia

(debaser), debaser
(debaser), debaser
(debaser), debaser
(debaser), debaser
(debaser), debaser
(debaser), debaser



It only last three minutes in length, but it quickly get's into your brain and stays there and the words come out of Franks mouth and quickly come to yours. The second time you hear them they are now on your mouth and now you too are singing these great words. I was converted for life. Sadly, my friend around my age had no concept of what this music was. Around the time the Pixies put out Trompe Le Monde I became a huge fan and really would not go without a week without listening to them. They supported U2 and of course my friends choice to ignore the opener. They do regret it now, because they come up to me asking for the Pixies. I won't give them the music because of there stupidity. It may sound callas, but they missed the boat once and now they have to deal.

Every song rolls off the pallet and is so well done, you wonder why this was created by such a short lived band. I saw the reunion tour and I really wish I could say I saw them in their prime because there is so much they said. It was like falling in love with your biggest crush. Then you wake up and she is right there for that quick five minutes. The Pixies never disappointed me their music was fresh and so well done that you really don;t get their music until after the fact. The popularity got a bit overwhelming because of Fight Club, but that was just a good way to expose a great band. I remember getting requests for the song that was used in Fight Club and of course I would tell my listeners that the better songs are the ones you will hear now.



The Pixies are a must listen. I don't think they are one of the first artist I would point out, but I am sure I would tell anyone who loves music to give them a try. The words and the music is fun and energetic. I wish I really could see them when they were a band of the late 80's and early 90's. I am sure I would have better stories to tell. Seeing them three times they really no fail to disappoint and furthermore have gotten bigger with the reunion they do once in a while. It is a great pleasure to tell you about them and take Doolittle and crank it up. You will be glad that you did. The music is wonderful and fresh and great. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment