Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sepultura Will Rip Your Face Off



When I went back to college at 27 I was ready to learn and soak in all there was about living on campus and away from home. It was not the first time away from home, but it was interesting to interact with people younger then me who are having the same experience. I met all kinds of different people and my education was with these different people and also in the classroom. I had fun, but I also grew up a bit at the same time. I learned everything from tolerance to compassion to just figuring stuff on my own. I took a lot of this education home with me and it now has made me grow as a person. I did enjoy my moment in a somewhat foreign land. The meeting of different kinds of people really intrigued me and I found new people to hang out with as well as become friends with.

During this time I got exposed to new types of music that these roommates would listen to. I would everything to Techno, Classic Rock, Electronica, World Music Heavy Metal, and last but not least Hardcore. It was like being a DJ at the radio station on campus. I heard all these there and I did not mind them. I even told my roommates that the music is cool, but I could not take some of it large doses. The Hardcore was interesting, because this roommate would explain to me what they were saying and also what their philosophy was. He even mentioned that some of these bands preached about not eating meat or to believe in a higher being. It was quite impressive. This roommates favorite music was Hardcore, but he told me he was open to everything else. He really liked a band called Sepultura. A band I was a bit familiar with when I went to college, but never actually followed up on.



I heard from my roommate the whole history of Sepultura from beginning to present day (at that time). He showed me his massive collection of their recordings and his die hard hoodie and shirt. He told me how great some of this music really was and it was good to listen to when your working out a the gym and need to get out your frustrations of the day or what have you.

Sepultura did not take long for me to like there were some great guitar and drums to it that hooked me right away. I wish I saw this live for the first time when this album came out. I was told by my roommate in college that the original guy in the band was the man who really got this band going. I did not know much about him, but what he did on Roots I can see why he is what made this sound so great. It was my first adventure into this music and genre and I thank him for introducing me to a band that had a lot of power.



Roots bloody roots
Roots bloody roots
Roots bloody roots
Roots bloody

I believe in our fate
We don't need to fake
It's all we wanna be
Watch me freak

I say we're growing every day
Getting stronger in every way
I'll take you to a place where we shall find our
Roots bloody roots
Roots bloody roots
Roots bloody roots
Roots bloody roots
Rain bring me the strength to get to another day
And all I want to see
Set us free
Why can't you see?
Can't you feel this is real?

I pray we don't need to change our ways to be saved
That all we wanna be
Watch us freak

I wish I could tell you more, but I cannot. The music of Sepultura is great and to me very fresh. It's music for you to get your frustrations out on. Enjoy it and I am sure you will feel the same way I do. I don't talk about Metal or Hardcore much, but I really think this one of the ones to listen to. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment