Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Mind Of Ben Harper



When I was asked why I get into certain music or bands I tell them I started early in their career and followed them. Some artist I liked from the early on. I always have followed the odd and unusual path of any artist. I don't dislike their odd moments or their career shift because sometimes they are for the good and sometimes they just took the wrong choice. Once in a great while I ask for help. I ask for help on what is good out there or an artist I should listen to. Contrary to popular belief I ask for ideas and one day I asked about Ben Harper. I saw this CD in the store where my friend works and asked him about it.

My friend told me that he just got a promotional copy of Fight For Your Mind. He told me that he loved it. It was new and fresh and very original. He explained to me that he played a mean slide guitar type thing and was very political in his lyrics. He also mentioned that the band backing him was tight and had a great groove as well. In 1995 I did not know much about his music or what his message was. With only now two album under him I was hoping that he would not be too popular. The mix of Dylan, Marley and Hendrix was a great mix that some people could see. I liked his way of playing the guitar. I even loved his singing. It was too good to stay in one little corner.



Every moment of Ben Harper's music was so addicting it required more then one listen to hear the great grooves and the great lyrics of what he was saying. Take the song "Ground on Down." The song did not leave my cd player or tape deck in the car for quite a long time. It's bass heavy groove and is quite addicting still to listen to. When I saw him live he played this song for about ten minutes with the band hooked in a great feel that left you speechless.

I believe in a few things :
God, the Devil and Love,
Cause I've looked up from the bottom and I've stared down from above.
And I have faith in a few things :
Divinity,
Divinity and Grace,
But even when I'm on my knees, I know the devil prays.

And you're working your way,
From the ground on down.

I hate to say I love you,
Because it means that I will be with you forever or will sadly..., say goodbye.
And I love to say I hate you,
Because it means that I will live my life happily without you or will sadly..., live a lie.

And you're working your way,
From the ground on down,
On down.
Your way,
From the ground on down.

Life is short and if you're looking for extension,
With your time, you had best do well,
Cause there's good deeds and there is good intention,
They're as far apart as heaven and hell.

And you're steady working your way,
From the ground on down,
On down.
Your way,
From the ground.



It was all I wanted to hear at one point. The music had a great sound that very few artists were doing at that time. Ben Harper allows his trademark Weissenborn guitar to scream out to his audience. It does more then that, It adds a new person in the fight of great artists and begs you to listen again and again. I am not sure how Ben Harper got popular after this album, but he did. His music was not over played on the radio, but his shows became a hard ticket to get. I guess people liked him as much as I did.



What you got here is a great Ben Harper album. It is full of wonderful music and great guitar playing and stuff for 1995 that really new and different. Ben Harper maybe popular in some worlds, but with his early stuff it is really great to hear some awesome music from a great man. If you listen to this album like I do, it will never get old. I suggest you start you Ben Harper listening here. What better way to treat yourself to something new and just remember where it all started from. Enjoy a lost classic from my musical years.

No comments:

Post a Comment