Monday, November 8, 2010

Day One With Fripp and Sylvian



The first time I heard David Sylvian was actually this album. Since I was a King Crimson fan I really wanted to hear this artist that Robert Fripp had with him. I knew very little, but I wished to hear more. With only seven songs this album is damn good for anyone who likes great guitar work and also wonderful vocals. I remember bringing it home wondering what this would sound like. I read the notes when I got home and realized that in some way I got excited to think there might be a King Crimson reunion soon. All these musicians I almost never heard of so maybe to me it was a new version of King Crimson. It turned out that two members of this project would be in the new King Crimson.

When I put the music on I realized the great voice of David Sylvian. He has a crisp and really beautiful tone to his voice. Something you don't get with many vocalist. His wonderful sound and the music the band was playing was a perfect match. There were great Fripp moments as well. His guitar stood in front with David's vocals and each worked off each other very well. The fun part was that the songs had great length to them and you did not have to worry about losing focus with them. They kept your attention all the way through.



Each track practically groove and breathe on his own. Fripp keeps our attention with an album full of funk, and electronica. The album is not boring or repetitive. And each song has a great unique spin on what their intent is. The musician's excitement and energy easily being felt from each song to the other. There is not a bad song in the bunch. Their is only seven songs, but that is all it needs. It's not overpowering with filler that tries to keep your attention. Fripp and Sylvian work well together. It was not the only time they did, but this is the first that they both took center stage. I never had the pleasure to see this tour, but I bet it would have been a great show. They really could have formed a super group on what they do together and with the great band backing them.



Want an album that works well then most? This is the album you have to listen to. So there is seven songs, but at a little over an hour, it works. It makes you play it a few times and you realize how great they are together. The signature Fripp licks are there and the music feels like a King Crimson album. It just does not have Adrian Belew singing and acting in his crazy way. The music is fresh, new and a must own. Try it today. I am sure you will like it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment