Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Attention Baby!!!



I will be the first to admit I am not the biggest u2 fan in the world. I have seen them six times looking for that moment that the fans around me go crazy for. It might be something simple or it might be just because they are crazy anyway. My first U2 show was in 1985. I thought they were good, but at that age of twelve I thought they were very good. Then again I saw them during the Joshua Tree tour and Achtung Baby Tour and I saw them two more times after that. It was a good show don't get me wrong, but the I really cannot place what makes people go crazy over them. The musicianship is pretty good. Edge's guitar playing is pretty good, but not enough to right home about. Bono's vocals are pretty good. I am really not sure if I missed something.

I have most of their music waiting for that thing to click. It might because their hits are pretty good and catchy. The hooks are great and I think what is even better is the fact that they use Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno as producers to change their sound. Both Daniel and Brian are very good at what they do. Daniel makes music sound really interesting and Brian is an icon who knows what is good. He does it well and if you don't believe me you should listen to either his music or the music he produced with the Talking Heads. What they do to U2 is quite amazing and fun. They put both their heads together and really make a band do something. My like for u2 is just that a like. I am sure the use of Brian and Daniel make me like u2 a bit more.



When trying to figure out what u2 album to choose it became a bit difficult. To choose a u2 album and only one is hard because being a casual fan and yes, I do like some singles from other albums. My choice was difficult. I could go with the album that got them the popularity in the first place or I could chose an album that changed their direction. I am not sure how much it left fans out in the cold, but the music is something I actually can listen to again and again. I don't jump for joy like other people do when they hear a song, but I do like the way each of these songs are crafted. Achtung Baby is actually pretty good. It's an album that has some very good qualities to it. The music sounds futuristic and that is why Wim Wenders used the title of a U2 song for a title of a movie. Wim Wenders loves that kind of stuff.

I think what I also like about this album is the fact that three songs on the album are some of the u2 songs I could listen to again and again. "Until The End Of The World" is a very good song. Also in that group of songs "Mysterious Ways" and "Zoo Station" are wonderful crafted songs. They were really ahead of their times for music. Full of percussion and great guitar playing without getting that early 90's guitar solos in music. When I did research for this album I heard they recorded most of it in Berlin. I really could see that, there is a mix of European music and stuff that we never heard of on this album.



As always I do put albums on this blog to tell you what to listen to. This album is a great starter of people that just casually listen to U2. Give it a listen and I am sure that it give u some ideas of what U2 were like in the early 90's. This I think is their most creative period in music. There is stuff on this album that I am still wondering where they got the ideas from. The music is wonderful and the fresh and most of all you will like it. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. i have to agree that i am also a casual U2 listener and i own this album and Joshua Tree. i can see how people jump for joy U2 and their messages of peace and so forth, but sometimes i think Bono is larger than life and takes a lot of the picture rather than letting the music do the talking. i have nothing against the material you hear on the radio but i think U2 is kind of bloated at their current state. i respect their place in the 'Rock Cannon' and so forth but i have a hard time getting into the albums that were released after Achtung Baby. i really dig this album and i often point it out to people that think U2 doesn't have an experimental side. nice choice.

    -Fizz

    ReplyDelete