Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Bridge to Robin Trower



The first time I heard Robin Trower was when I was high school. I was on my way to study hall and I had my Walkman on a popular classic radio station and they were playing great stuff all through the time I was in that study hall. I did not get much homework done, but I did have a neat list of music I should be looking for next time I went to the record store. The list was pretty long and I needed to find most of it because it was all good stuff. A friend of mine told me that some of this he could make a copy for me because his father had it on record. The other stuff I had to find on my own.

One of the big things that caught my interest in listening was Robin Trower. I knew a bit about him because he was in Procol Harum. The music I heard was actually less like Procol Harum and more like Jimi Hendrix and good old blues. The stuff was really good, but I did not have any of that stuff in my collection. I really did not know where to start with his extensive solo collection. Around the same time I was part of one of the record clubs and I saw a deal in the little flier I used to get. "Buy three cassettes and half price and get one free." I went through the flier and picked out things I did not have anything of that artist. In the searching I found a Essential Robin Trower. Hey for little more then $5.00 I picked it up. If I did not like it and I knew I would I would just put it with my cassettes and leave it alone. The album did have the song I liked, so it could not be all bad.



I picked a few other cassettes and I waited for the music to come to my house. In the time it took to get here I went to a few tag sales in the coming weeks. I went to one where this guy had a very good collection of 70's rock. There was the Bob Seger's and the Peter Frampton and the Fleetwood Mac albums. I picked a few of those up, but in his collection there was two Robin Trower albums. One had the song on it that I liked and the other had stuff that was on that cassette tape I was going to get in the mail. I was excited to pay the person for these and go home. He told me that I will really enjoy the music that Robin Trower plays. I was excited to get his music on my turntable.

When I got home I showed my father what I found and at the same time he was cleaning his car the same song I heard on the radio at school was on. I pointed to my dad that this guy is responsible for that song. He told me to wait till he was done washing the car so we can listen to some of his music. It was a great chance to hear what else he did. When he got in the house he told me to put the album on the turntable. Bridge of Sighs was the album. From start to finish this album rocked more then most of my collection of the time. My father told me that it sounded like a white Jimi Hendrix. He really liked it as much as I did. Every song was a winner. The trio sounded great, loud and kicked a lot of ass.



After it was all said and done, I really liked this album. I know it might be the go to album by Trower, but it is very good and full of great guitar licks that anyone could enjoy. The music is classic 70's, but it is also unique because some the music from that time was not exactly great. This is and more. Robin Trower made a lot of albums in the 70's, but this is the one that got him to his guitar status. Add this to your collection, and you will be glad you did. Enjoy a great gem from 1974 and you will love it every time you play it. He is even better live. Classic!! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment