Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Who Are The Bad Plus And Why Do They Not Sound Like Jazz

http://www.jazzchicago.net/images/sept07/BadPlus_group_web.jpg

One day I went with a few friends to see a concert in Boston. The Band was called Godspeed, You Black Emperor. This band I have talked about in my blog before. The show was amazing and to make music like they do is truly amazing to me. The use of cello, violin, two bass players, two guitars and two drummers is staggering and definitely something that can be expanded on. On the train back to our car I saw some people who I did not know who also went to the Godspeed show sit across from us. They seemed hip to what was going on. Even more they were talking about other bands that they have seen before this show and mentioned how cool they were as well. One band they talked about, but yet have not seen was a band called The Bad Plus.

Who were The Bad Plus I asked? Do they sound familiar to Godspeed, You Black Emperor? One guy responded and told me they were a Jazz trio on steroids. Full of Energy that no simple Jazz trio would dare try or attempt to sound like them. He also told me that The Bad Plus have a sort of oddness to them that makes them not Jazz, but their own style of music. They do sound at some moments like a Jazz trio, but they just do it so differently that they just scream insane. He continued and told me that there first album was not even out yet, but the buzz and seeing them once at the Regatta Bar convinced him that this was going to be great.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/photos/2007/thebadplus_2.jpg

He continued telling me that they play their own material, but they throw in covers of bands like Nirvana, Blondie, Black Sabbath, Aphex Twin and others just for good measure. Their titles of their songs are odd, but just enough to make you laugh. He rattled off some odd titles such as "Keep the Bugs off the Glass and the Bears Off Your Ass." and "Silence is the Question" and "Big Eater." He even rattled off some of the songs from other artists that they did. He told me that they covered "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Heart of Glass," "Iron Man" and Aphex Twin song "Film." After that explanation I was eager to hear this band. When I went home for a break I called my friend in New York and asked about them. He told me he had a CDR of them floating around and he would make me a copy and send it to me. He warned me that they are just one messed up band with a huge amount of talent.

A week later the CD showed up with a note. Play loud and enjoy. Also was enclosed a ticket to see them in NYC three weeks from the date he sent me the CD. He e-mailed me to tell me that he has a date see them play The Village Vanguard. I accepted and could not wait to get home to get to the city to see this band. When I went back to school I popped the CD in my player and just sat back and was in awe.



About a week after seeing this amazing show I received a CD in the mail. My roommate told me that he had to sign for it. I thought it was kind of odd that he had to sign for the package. I opened up the package and inside was the first Bad Plus CD. There was a note too. The Note read. " Hope you enjoyed the show as much as I did here is a gift for you to remember how great The Bad Plus were." It was the Bad Plus CD. When I opened the CD and looked at the Booklet it had been signed by the band. Also, was attached was my ticket stub and a flyer for the show.

I quickly called my friend and told him I got the package and was very thankful. I returned the favor and bought him a ticket when they were in my area to play. It was the least I could do. The show was fun and exciting, but it was amazing to see that they could have so much energy. If you want something that is not your grandpa's jazz group then this is the one for you. It's fun and the songs they cover are crazy. It is a welcome change to a world full of cookie cutter music and sometimes no talent. This is got the talent, and more. It might be the best thing you put in your CD player. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment