Monday, March 1, 2010

Everyone's Favorite Indie Rock Cult Band...If You Don't Know Them You Should

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/pavement.jpg

Back in 1991 I was invited to a U2 show with a few friend. I thought it was cool that they invited me because I usually went to shows that no one had heard of or just went on my own to shows and then found people I knew at the same show I was at. My friends told me that want to see this tour because of the venue. The Civic Center was not a great place, but we all had connections to get great seats and we could make it a group effort. I knew my connections were in part because of my father. He could get anything at the Civic Center because he built it and was the first person they called when it collapsed on that snowy day in 1979. I got home from school one day to tell my parents that I was going to U2 and my dad handed me two tickets for floor seats. He knew I saw U2 in 1985 with my father and he had a blast. Then I saw them in May of 1987 at the same Civic Center and this time I was with my best friend had a blast again. This time I brought the girl I was seeing and we ran late. We did not miss U2, but we missed the most important act ever to grace the stage of all opening bands. We missed "god-damn" Pavement.

I was not mad at her, but I really wanted to see this band. I never heard of them at that point and not many people did either, but it was worth a shot to know more. I was a bit pissed because I knew that my friend who knew me well would ask me the next day about the opener and I would have to fudge and say "they were awesome." Well the funny thing was they canceled their chance to open and instead we had the Pixies, but damn it I missed that too. I at least knew who the Pixies were and I just wanted to see them at another time. Sadly after the U2 tour the Pixies broke up and I did not see them till 2008. Pavement I never saw again either because they got a bit famous and never came around the area again.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/pavement.gif

Pavement was a band that was something I always wanted to see. I heard the stuff on the college radio. I even saw the two or three videos on MTV and even saw then on MTV late night alternative TV show 120 Minutes. I thought that Pavement was not your typical Indie-Rock band. They had unusually odd lyrics and really odd musical style. They caught my interest right away and I wanted to heard more.

A few years after the Pavement buzz started. It was around and I jumped right on it. I could not understand why people did not catch on. It was like the biggest cult underground rock band. People that would follow the same music I was following was not following Pavement, but they were following Beck, Live, Weezer, Oasis, Nine Inch Nails, Green Day, Stone Temple Pilots and others. There was not many Pavement fans. It was not till I went back to school in 2000 that there were still a select few who loved them as much as I.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiBroj93utcxPr0rmVUFI8V35ImtB5YNkL8yKTGXxEVHFV98ewUMZTRkMkkON34fUvMrxT1_iV4DjEUAQzLYCqkEfnxzhFPw5C0puWcLhLTtfntwOfm6lf3ouaM9sDNFFSbPHFsOd1FsUg/s400/crooked-rain.jpg

So what attracted me to Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain? The answer is simple. The music is amazing and even better the lyrics are way out there and still have some kind of sense and order. Pavement is a band that is something that should be listened to. The description I could give. Here are a sample of the single from the album. The song and video were very unique for it's time.

Darlin' don't you go and cut your hair
Do you think it's gonna make him change?
"I'm just a boy with a new haircut"
And that's a pretty nice haircut
Charge in like a puzzle
Hitmen wearing muzzles
Hesitate you die
Look around, around
The second drummer drowned
His telephone is found

Music scene is crazy
Bands start up each and every day
I saw another one just the other day
A special new band
I remember lying
I don't remember a line
I don't remember a word
But I don't care, I care, I really don't care
Did you see the drummer's hair?

Advertising looks and chops a must
No big hair!
Songs mean a lot when songs are bought
And so are you
Let's run down to the practice room
attention and fame
a career
career, career, career

http://www.oesquema.com.br/trabalhosujo/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/pavement.jpg

If you read those lyrics you can tell they are not exactly about what other bands talk about. There is not about love, lost love, good times, etc. These lyrics are just down right odd. Pavement are a wonderful band that just needs a little time to understand them. All their albums have some kind of unique twist to them that just makes work.

If you want to try something totally new then I suggest Pavement. You cannot go wrong with any of the albums, but this is were I started and it might be the most accessible. Have fun challenging your music friends with them. They might not know or they might and you know they might feel the same way I do. They rock in an odd sorta way. They are just fun and just a little out there for all of us to understand. And, if you are a Pavement fan like me. Hope to see you at one of the reunion shows! Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. Holy shit, I ordered this album from work a few weeks ago and finally got a copy of it last Friday. I've been listening to it all weekend and I have 'Slanted and Enchanted' on order as well. Weird how that works.

    I'm sad that I never heard Pavement up until a few days ago, I wish I had listened to them a lot sooner. The music on this album is down to earth, yet from another world. I can hear how Beck, Weezer and every other 90's Alt band could have built off of their sound.

    I really liked the digs toward Smashing Pumpkins and STP, that made me laugh a bit. I'd be interested in one of their reunion shows, if they come to Boston at all. I can see why not many people would listen to these guys, you have to be kind of strange yourself to pick up what is going on. The coincidence makes me laugh.

    - Fizz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought *the* 90s indie-rock cult band was Guided By Voices? No...just me then.

    I do dig the way Pavement picked up on The Fall's utter British-ness and turned it into a weird California mash-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea Purple Guided By Voice is a cult band too. I love them just the same. I am not sure how to classify them though. They are a bit odd and they are like a bar band too. Great thought! Thanks

    ReplyDelete