Monday, March 8, 2010

Marc Bolan and T-Rex

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2624/3795469837_44be3e5daf_o.jpg

When I was a young kid I used to go through my dads record and tape and 8-track collection looking for something to listen to. I say 8-track because he had three 8-tracks that were not your run of the mill. These three were albums that I would not place in my fathers collection. They seemed out of place. Each was way different then what my dad's musical taste or listening. One was Double Platinum by Kiss, and the other two were compilations you would buy on TV. One was like a Guitar Rock special and the other was like Rock Anthems or something like that. Each had it's uniqueness of what was on there. There was Deep Purple, David Bowie, Animals, Hendrix and others. The Guitar Rock one had some odd type rock songs that I used to listen to a lot. This one had people like Marc Bolan (T-Rex), Amboy Dukes, Todd Rundgren, Early Deep Purple, Ten Years After and others.

The 8-track was great I used to grab my dad's headsets and put it on and dance to it. I never got tired of it, but I remember every song on there. When I got older I would bring this 8-track to the record stores I used to go to. I told the people at the store that I would like to get these on record. The 8-track had 12 songs and I wanted them all. If these songs were great, then I am sure that the rest of the album that they came on were awesome too. Then I realized my problem. Some of these songs on the albums were the issue. An example The Amboy Dukes album alone was $30.00. The Deep Purple was also pricey. Then I decided to find them on tape. That was easier and cheaper as well.



Then I got to the T-Rex song. It was on an album called Electric Warrior. I looked for it on tape and found it. I brought it home and when I got home my uncle saw me with this tape. He looked at me and told me that he saw T-Rex in 1971 and it was one of the best shows he ever saw. He also had broken the news to me that the tape I bought was one of three albums by T-Rex that I needed. I looked him funny because the song on the 8-track was on this tape. He told me that the two other albums after that The Slider and Tanx were the ones to get. I went on to get those in the future. He was right once again. Electric Warrior was great, but The Slider and Tanx was just as good if not better.

When I bought the albums I took no expense. I bought them and quickly listened to them. Each was unique in it's own way. I grew more attached to The Slider. Each song was great. Even more the music was more in your face then Electric Warrior. The Songs had bite to them and the music was rockin' and everything had a thicker sound to it. It was a great change to what I was listening to. All in all I knew my uncle was right, I just had to listen for myself.

http://www.marc-bolan.eu/bolan%20bw.jpg

So if you want to hear some great music from the early 70's; I suggest that you listen to this stuff. It is a bit dated, but still sounds okay to me. Pretty soon you might be a T-Rex fan like myself. The songs have great force and power behind each one. Plus what's so great is that music is so fun. It may be a little different then what you normally listen to, but then what's normal. T-Rex (Marc Bolan) is amazing and something you should have fun with and listen with hours and hours of enjoyment. Enjoy the unique sounds of T-Rex and Marc Bolan.

1 comment:

  1. I got into T-Rex late. I remember "Bang a Gong" on the radio as a kid but that was the only song by them/him that I knew and I thought it was a nice pop tune but nothing special. Some years back I bought a DVD that had German TV broadcasts of Roxy Music and T-Rex. I bought the DVD for the Roxy stuff (being a big fan of early Roxy) but found myself drawn into the T-Rex stuff as well. Marc Bolan is incredibly charismatic. Their songs are indeed fun, with a decided Beatles/John Lennon influence. I became a fan of T-Rex ever after...

    ReplyDelete