Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Soundtrack to Ocean's

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/DavidFricke/Oceans13_cover.jpg

Okay, you can make fun of me and call me names if you want. I just don't want to see it in the reactions to this post. I usually don't watch a lot of mainstream films. If I do it's got to be really good or something that interests me. I don't even go to the theater that is about seven minutes from my house to see a film. If it does come to a cinema that promotes the independent films sure, or there is a college in Hartford I go to that has films. I have realized now and most people tell me that I am an ass for this, but the local theater has been a bad experience for me. If it is a film that is popular then I will go into Hartford that has the same type of theater that the one is seven minutes away. I will also make a point of seeing an weekday afternoon showing or a showing that no one will interrupt me. In the age of electronic devices in quiet areas this mythology has gone away. I could get personal about it, but I will not do that for the sake of upsetting me and boring you.

Anyway, this will be my second post that has to do with a soundtrack. I was going to do a soundtrack from the 60's. The films of the 1960's and 1970's are most of the films I admire or feel they are unique in their vision and their originality. The other day I looked and surveyed my DVD collection and about 70% of the films I watch are from that time period. There are some great independent films from the last couple decades I love too. There are a few films that I do like from 1990's and 2000's that I own and watch again and again. Some of these include, Glengarry Glen Ross, American Beauty, Millers Crossing, Fisher King, Hamlet, and more recent films There Will Be Blood, High Fidelity, Pan's Labyrinth, Batman: The Dark Night, No Country For Old Men, and City of God. I am a sucker for good old fashion films that have a lot of good actors, but the movie fails on greatness because it's not critical success. This would be the Ocean series. All three are great and fun to watch. The music of David Holmes has always impressed me on how well he places the musical score that he does.

http://weblogs.variety.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/26/ht_oceans13_070522_ms.jpg

The other day I was watching Ocean's Thirteen and I remember my seeing it at the college theater I go to with a few friends. Being a fan of Steven Soderbergh for quite some time and loving his early films Kafka and Sex, Lies and Videotape. I realized that the films of Steven have great music attached to them. They are very good to create a mood or a feeling or even a great scene that he is showing us the audience. People who know my musical and film likes and dislikes know that I go all over the map and with David Holmes the soundtracks to the Ocean trilogy can hear International, Classical, Electronica, Classic Sinatra, or stuff even your grandparents liked. This is what is great about this soundtrack to Ocean Thirteen. Is the musical muse of David Holmes is all over the map.

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/-/2/P/oceans13pic3.jpg

The unique of these soundtracks is that they have David does add his own spin on the music without it being boring or like old soundtracks that just set the mood without being memorable. Since I have a pretty good memory the music that is featured in the Ocean films is got moments that you will not only remember the scene, but the great music that came with it. Other soundtracks out there don't have that memory and scene acknowledgment like other films do. They make the soundtrack hip and fun to hear with all it's exotic or uptempo type music. David does not so the whole soundtrack himself, but he adds Elvis, Sinatra, Classical and other stuff to make it unique and for me, something I would listen to again and again.

Soundtracks are really important CD or LP's to pick up. Some of them have stuff that will never be anywhere else. In the Ocean soundtracks they have something unique that you should just listen with great joy! I like them and you will understand what I mean once you do. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment