Thursday, March 24, 2011

Rings Around the Furry Animals



Before I went back to school in the fall of 2000 I went to see my friends about what new music I should be listening to so I can be hip on and talk about. Since a few of my friends worked at a record store I got their take on the new music scene. There was a list from one friend and another friend told me that I should listen to a few groups that are unique and might catch the eyes of some people up at school. I knew some bands would carry to the people who do like good music. These bands like Radiohead, R.E.M, and the like. My friend gave me a promo copy of the new Spiritualized at the time and also handed me a copy of The Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin. He told me that will get somebody's attention. He also handed me a band I knew a bit about, but had not heard their music. This band was called Super Furry Animals. I might have heard them in passing, but did not recognize who they were.

During the summer of 2000 I took a bunch of music and put together a 3CD set for me to listen to in the car. I listened to all this stuff that I thought I would listen to and I really was ready for the new world of school and also at the same time. My friend handed me a few Super Furry Animal CD's and told me that I would love them. He was was correct, it did not take much to get into their music. I liked the spacey electronic stuff as well as the hard rocking music they did. The Super Furry Animals were not like anything that I heard from other bands of that era. The music was different because while some of the bands I did listen to were serious in their musical intent; Super Furry Animals just seemed like they were having a great time.



The two CD's that my friend gave me had tongue and cheek lyrics as well as song titles that were filled with humor. But in their own way the music was quite fun and exciting as well. It was a band that I knew I was going to love. It was quite funny listening to all their songs hearing how not serious they were talking about life. It was like this band was just here to have fun and ride the waves of what ever would happen to them. This is a band I could be a follower for a long time. I actually still am too. I buy all their music and listen to their music with the humor they find in making it.

In 2001 I told my friend who introduced me to them they were coming to America to tour. He and I said we would make the effort to go see them. I grabbed a few of my college friends and we went to see them. Not only were they good in the studio, but they were great live and the funny stuff was also transformed on stage. They came out in Furry Animal suits and looked like chewbacca's It was quite funny for the first 15 minutes of the show. They played this spacey type song and after the song was over they took off their outfits and introduced each other to the crowd. The album they were promoting was the one in this blog. Rings Around the World is a fine album. It might be my favorite album of theirs though. The first three or four songs are really a great introduction to what they do so well. When you hear them they mix a Beatles type feel from the late sixties with humor and wit with a dash of electronic music. They even have some fun cameo's on the album. Paul McCartney and John Cale make themselves known that this too is as fun for the Super Furry Animals as well it is for them.



With its kaleidoscopic blend of pop, prog, punk, psych, and electronica. Still, this is nearly Super Furry Cliff Notes, offering a glossy, big-screen variation on all of their themes -- decadently lush pop-psych, chugging rock & roll, bitter leftism, sublimely warped imagery, experimentalism wrapped in luxurious productions.(AM) The CD is a great start for anyone who wants to explore them. This is what I want in my music. It is an album that will beg you to listen to it more and more. Try it on for size and let me know what you think. This is the reason I love music, because when it's a band not to be taken seriously you have a lot of fun. They were so not serious before when they did a an all Welsh album. I bet you cannot say anything about that any other band out there. Get this and I am sure you will love them as much as I do. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. i was only able to find Phantom Planet when i hit my usual record store the other day. not knowing what to expect when i listened to it in my car, i was surprised and enjoyed the record. i'm going to keep looking for Rings or anything else by them. as always.

    - Fizz

    ReplyDelete