Thursday, October 14, 2010

Look-Ka Meters



I will admit I was a bit naive when I was a kid. I heard a Meters by Primus and really thought that it was their own. The song "Tippi Toes" was a great songs. I was quite impressed with what Primus did with that song. When my friend informed me that it was a cover song I went on to look for something by The Meters. Some of the music was hard to find at first, but after a search I found a used cassette with about twelve songs on it. This cassette was homemade and it gave a good overview on what they did. I kept that tape for a while and when the friend who told me about them came over with a two CD set of their music I quickly made a copy.

I really did not know what I was in for. I thought the music was going to be R&B and sounding like Booker T. and The MG's. From the first song on the tape I knew I was in for something quite different then that. The music was funky and not funky like James Brown, but much more then that. It had me moving and grooving in the car. There was something about the Meters I could not explain, but whatever it was it was great. I asked my friend who bought the two CD set if he had anything else by them. I liked what I heard, but I am sure there was more to be had. It took me forever to find the albums. Even at that time I was introduced to them I heard from other people that the albums were full of even more classic funky stuff.



By the time I realized who they were, I was told that they had four albums that were a must own. I went to my usual record stores and they did not have them. It was not till I went back to college I found their music on CD. These albums were out of print for so long it was hard just to go with that two CD set. I decided to buy the albums. Each one was better then the last and what made it more exciting the songs on the albums that were not on the set were better then the others. I am glad I picked up these CD's because each album had a more impressive set of songs then the previous album. What makes these albums great is the fact that the groove of the bass, drums and organ are setting such a great groove. They know what each is doing. The music speaks for itself.

Every album has a moment that is like no other. I really honestly did not get it the first listen, but after each repeated listen it had more and more character to it. The music is fresh and fun. It explains a lot on how this band got such a huge following. I never saw them live, but if I was around in the mid-70's I sure would see them every chance I got. It's the fact that The Meters are mostly instrumental that baffle me. I love instrumental type music and hearing these great grooves come from four guys who don't need words to tell you, but there musicianship makes it all the more great. The music is even better when your in a great mood. It forces you to have fun grooving.



My problem was picking an album to let you know where to go. I chose Look-Ka Py Py because it was the first one I really loved. The album is full of great bass grooves and heavy on organ as well. It wants you to dance and let yourself go. The music does not sound dated either, it sounds like it was just recorded yesterday and wants you to tell all your friends how cool some of this stuff really is. Song's like "Funky Miracle" are just classic and really make you shake your head and wonder where the hell this came from. It's music that does not come around often so I suggest that you listen closely. The music is the funk you need and for me it just reminds me that there is music out there that just kicks a bit more ass then anything else out there. Enjoy! It might even get you to dance, who knew that music can be so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment