Saturday, September 11, 2010

Nina's Blues



The first time I heard Nina Simone was in 1996. I was on my way to work and heard a Jazz show play some of her stuff. I did not know much, but then my experience in female jazz and blues vocals was a little weak. I liked what I heard, but would love to hear more. At the library I worked I told my co-worker to find me a few Nina Simone albums through the libraries inter-library loan service. I told him what I heard was from the middle 1960's. He came to me when we were going to lunch and told me that he sent out for four CD's of her work. When they came in I was transfixed on this wonderful music.

I got home and asked my father about her. He knew a little, but he told me about the wonderful voice she had. Doing a little research I found out that Jeff Buckley also loved her stuff. His song "Lilac Wine" is a direct tribute to her. He channeled her so well. Even in interviews when he was alive he used to tell the story how he was turned on to Led Zeppelin and Nina Simone. He mentioned many others, but he really thought those two changed his view of music. It was quite touching. Something I will always remember is when I picked up the re-issue of Live at Sin-e He covered Nina's "Be My Husband." He retitled it "Be Your Husband" but still had the same effect and it tore me to pieces.



A few years later a female friend and I went to go see Thomas Crown Affair. I was a little reluctant because I was a huge fan of the old version with Steve McQueen, but I decided to go because I wanted to see if their was any differences. There is a scene in the film where Nina Simone's music was used. I was quite alert when I heard this and put this in the back of my head to look for it. After the movie my friend asked me if I liked the film. I mentioned that I thought the film was very good, and the Nina Simone song blew my mind. She asked me if it was during the theft scene. I nodded my head and quickly replayed that in my head. She asked me if I had any of her music. I told her I had a few CD's that she might like.

With Nina Simone on the mind I decided to listen to her more and more. Every time I did it reminded me of the scene in Thomas Crown Affair. I became more and more of a fan of her when I went back to school. Her music was not only inspirational, but it was also controversial and at the radio station I used to Disc Jockey at had a few songs that were banned because of their content. Of course music with swears was one of the many things that we could not play, but none other then Nina Simone had one of her songs "Mississippi Goddam" was one of the few challenged songs we could not play. Something I did not know going into the Disc Jockey field. Her music was so great, why was this song so different. I never found out why, but I am sure it did spark something when it was first played.



Nina had a great career and her music was wonderful, not only that but you ever hear her versions of popular songs written by Dylan, Bee Gees, Leonard Cohen, Hall and Oates, and so many others. They are actually quite unique and fun to listen to. Her voice had incredible range and character to it. Her unique music should have been appreciated more. Her name should be in same breath as Billie Holiday or Ella Fitzgerald.

This is not her best album, but at least at has two wonderful gems in "Sinnerman" and also "Be My Husband." Both are wonderful songs and should be anyone's musical collection. Her music changed the way people look at females singers and gave people like Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins and countless others hope to sing and do what they do. She helped people like Lauryn Hill, Jill Scott, and others today use the wonderful voice they have today. And for me I love her music because of a dear friend and one Jeff Buckley who was not afraid to keep her legacy alive with such great passion for her. Nina is a true genius and is very important in any music conversation that you have. Enjoy! She is a classic. A recent biography gives a great story about her that should be checked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment