Tuesday, April 13, 2010

SuperSound!!!!

http://bigearflux.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/soundgarden-superunknown-or-100590.jpg

With an album stretching at an hour and ten minutes. Soundgarden gave the middle finger to all the other Seattle bands. Their point was that they can make an album that is longer then 40 minutes and have it sound just about perfect. Just about every song on Superunknown is a keeper. I like music that keeps my attention long after the album has been played. I like it even better when I pick it up a year later and still enjoy every minute of it. Even though the album had five singles, these songs sound like if they came out today they would have been hits again.

Soundgarden is one of my favorite bands. When I heard that they were getting back together I was excited to hear this. I saw them only once, but was immediately hooked on what they do. It was a fresh and distinct sound that I loved. Chris Cornell was the ultimate front man with his long black hair. His voice was amazing and so much better then some of the other artists. Even better he can play guitar pretty good too. I had their breakout album Badmotorfinger and loved it. It had sounded like if Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin made an album of epic grandeur.

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/soundgarden.jpg

I quickly got Superunknown and put it in the tape deck of my car. I realized right away that this album was going to make my head spin. This album had slicker production then the previous album and what was even better was the great pounding of the drums by Matt Cameron. His drumming on Badmotorfinger was great, but with the new production on Superunknown you could hear him shine. The focused songwriting allows the band to stretch material out for grander effect, without sinking into the pointlessly drawn-out muck that cluttered their early records. The dissonance and odd time signatures are still in force, though not as jarring or immediately obvious, which means that the album reveals more subtleties with each listen.(AM)

The rest of the production is just as crisp, with the band achieving a huge, robust sound that makes even the heaviest songs sound deceptively bright. But the most important reason Superunknown is such a rich listen is twofold: the band's embrace of psychedelia, and their rapidly progressing mastery of songcraft. (AM) This is what makes Soundgarden so unique of the Seattle sound. This is the music that I saw change before my eyes.

http://cdn.pitchfork.com/media/soundgarden452.jpg

Soundgarden has been away from music for a long time and when they reunite and play this year I expect them to play like it was yesterday. There was some people thinking that this would have never happen in the generation that listened to this wonderful music. Well, it has, and hopefully it will be just as I remember. The wonderful crushing guitars overlaying with other guitars and Matt Cameron's great drums. The wonderful crisp sound of Chris Cornell's vocals. We can only hope for something so fun that they stick around for a while and show us how the music that made them famous, made us feel great all over again. Dear Soundgarden show these new punks how to do it right. Thanks Matt. Enjoy everybody!

2 comments:

  1. When I worked in a kitchen the only radio station we could get was Rock 101 in Manchester NH. Typical shitty rock station that played all the usual stuff you'd hear. On weekend they play 'blocks of rock' and one day they had a Soundgarden block. The guy I worked with said to me: do you like these guys? I was like, who are they? He almost dropped his knife, walked to the radio and turned up 'Flower' and said: this is Soundgarden, what the hell have you been listening to? He let me borrow Superunknown and practically quizzed me about it for months. I was glad he did because my appreciation for the band only grew.

    I remember picking Soundgarden as my second artist spotlight when I was at WKNH. 3 hours, and all the songs that fit, I wish I had a tape recording that show. One of my prized albums is a red vinyl copy of Louder Than Love, that album is amazing.

    Excellent choice as usual,

    Fizz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fizz I have original copies on record of Badmotorfinger and Superunknown. Worth lots of coin to this day!

    ReplyDelete